Post Covid Rehabilitation Service
Post Covid service specialises in rehabilitation by occupational therapists and physiotherapists with the support of rehabilitation assistants to provide a service for patients with ongoing symptoms of Post Covid (known as ‘Long’ Covid).
The aim of the service is to offer a holistic assessment to set patient led goals and develop rehabilitation programmes to address the symptoms of Post Covid syndrome. It is part of a multi disciplinary team comprising of OTs, physios and rehabilitation assistants.
- Non emergency service
- Necessary to be registered with Manchester GP either in Central, South or North locality
- Age 18+
- Referral from GP to Post Acute Covid Assessment Service, Tier 3 based at NMGH who then refer on to our rehab team once medical investigations have been completed, Red Flags addressed and deemed appropriate for rehabilitation
- All patients with Post Covid syndrome diagnosed through exclusion following all other investigations
Holistic Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy assessment. Patients are triaged within 5 days of referral then offered clinic, virtual or home assessment as appropriate. Patient led for goal setting and treatment. Example areas which could be addressed:
- Fatigue management
- Cognition including concentration, memory and brain fog
- Muscle weakness and deconditioning
- Balance and mobility problems
- Upper limb function
- Psychosocial problems including mood, stress and anxiety – with ongoing referral as appropriate
There is currently no timescale for treatment. It is currently on a needs led basis. This will be reviewed in time depending on demand and patient need as the service is new.
Referral process as above – referrals only received from Tier 3 PACAS.
- Telephone: 07971 729 154
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alexandra Park Health Centre
2 Whitswood Close
- Telephone: 0161 946 8364
- Email: email@example.com
Integrated Community Rehabilitation Service
1 Stancliffe Road
- Telephone: 0161 470 6860 ext.54860
Community Rehabilitation Team
Victoria Mill Health Centre
10 Lower Vickers Street
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
No out of hours; nor provision at bank holidays and weekends.
Patient Information Leaflet [PDF, 315kb]
Information on clinic appointments will be sent out as appropriate including parking or transport links. Assessments completed at PACAS will be included in their referral so patients do not need to provide any information. The physio and / or OT may offer and use resources with the patient as part of rehabilitation. This will all be explained at appointments.
Examples of ongoing referral may be to:
- Psychological support – Greater Manchester Post Covid Syndrome Service – www.iaptportal.co.uk
- buzz Manchester NHS Health and Wellbeing service – www.buzzmanchester.co.uk
- GMMH pain service – www.gmmh.nhs.uk
- English National Opera ‘ENO breathe’ programme – www.eno.org
- Nuffield Covid 19 Rehabilitation Programme www.nuffieldhealth.com
- Care Navigators
Or if needed back to PACAS for further investigations. Patients will be discharged to their GP.
Page last reviewed: October 2022
Next review due: October 2023