Post COVID Rehabilitation Service
Post COVID service specialises in rehabilitation by occupational therapists and physiotherapists with the support of rehabilitation assistants to provide a service for patients with ongoing symptoms of Post Covid (known as ‘Long’ Covid).
The aim of the service is to offer a holistic assessment to set patient-led goals and develop rehabilitation programmes to address the symptoms of post-COVID syndrome. The specialist team is made up of Occupational therapists, physiotherapists and rehabilitation assistants.
Post COVID rehabilitation is a non-emergency service that operates citywide. To access the service, you need:
- To be registered with Manchester GP either in Central, South or North locality
- Aged 18+
- Have a referral from GP to Post Acute Covid Assessment Service, Tier 3 based at NMGH who then refer on to our rehab team once medical investigations have been completed, Red Flags addressed and deemed appropriate for rehabilitation
- Be mentally and physically able to engage with the programme
- Be medically stable and not require acute hospital care.
All patients with Post Covid syndrome are diagnosed through exclusion following all other investigations.
Holistic Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy assessment. Patients are triaged within 5 days of referral then offered clinic, virtual or home assessment as appropriate. Patient-led for goal setting and treatment. Example areas which could be addressed:
- Fatigue management
- Working on cognition – including concentration, memory strategies and understanding brain fog
- Improving muscle strength and conditioning
- Balance and mobility problems
- Upper limb function
- Psychosocial problems including mood, stress and anxiety – with ongoing referral as appropriate
- Signposting to additional support, such as: Nuffield Health Long COVID Rehabilitation programme, English National Opera ‘Breathe’ programme and Post COVID Psychology.
There is currently no timescale for treatment. It is currently on a needs-led basis. This will be reviewed in time depending on demand and patient need as the service is new.
All referrals to our service must come to us from the Post Acute COVID Assessment Service (PACAS).
Your GP can refer you to PACAS. The Post COVID triage nurse will then refer on to us following review.
- Telephone: 07971 729 154
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alexandra Park Health Centre
2 Whitswood Close
- Telephone: 0161 946 8364
- Email: email@example.com
Integrated Community Rehabilitation Service
1 Stancliffe Road
- Telephone: 0161 470 6860 ext.54860
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Rehabilitation Team
Victoria Mill Health Centre
10 Lower Vickers Street
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
No out of hours; nor provision at bank holidays and weekends.
Patient Information Leaflet [PDF, approx. 168KB]
Information on clinic appointments will be sent out as appropriate including parking or transport links. Assessments completed at PACAS will be included in their referral so patients do not need to provide any information. The physio and / or OT may offer and use resources with the patient as part of rehabilitation. This will all be explained at appointments.
Examples of ongoing referral may be to:
- Psychological support – Greater Manchester Post Covid Syndrome Service – www.iaptportal.co.uk
- buzz Manchester NHS Health and Wellbeing service – www.buzzmanchester.co.uk
- GMMH pain service – www.gmmh.nhs.uk
- English National Opera ‘ENO breathe’ programme – www.eno.org
- Nuffield Covid 19 Rehabilitation Programme www.nuffieldhealth.com
- Care Navigators
Or if needed back to PACAS for further investigations. Patients will be discharged to their GP.
Page last reviewed: October 2022
Next review due: October 2023