Winter Wythenshawe and Northenden
Please note: This guide is from Winter 2022. New advice will be available shortly.
We know this Winter will be hard with the cost of living crisis, but there is lots of support out there locally if you do need it. To help local people, Manchester Local Care Organisation’s integrated neighbourhood teams across the city have worked with colleagues at Manchester City Council and the voluntary sector to produce a series of neighbourhood service guides .
The guides outline much of the local support that is available across each neighbourhood. These include food banks, warm hubs, befriending services and other local offers.
The booklets complement the citywide support available through Manchester City Council’s free cost of living advice line. This free telephone line offers support with benefits and help with your rent, advice about debt and paying bills , food support and help to get online (support to access the internet, laptops, phones and data). The advice line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm on 0800 023 2692. You can speak to someone about the support that is available. You can also text on 07860 022 876 or visit manchester.gov.uk/coladvice
View the information in the categories below or you can download the PDF booklet for Wythenshawe and Northenden here [PDF 3.5MB].
Vouchers for foodbanks can be obtained from a number of agencies – www. wythenshawe.foodbank.org.uk/get-help/foodbank-vouchers
The Dandelion Centre – Community food & foodbank as well as a clothes/ brica-brac section. A warm welcome with tea or coffee and a friendly chat. Voucher required for the foodbank.
- Monday and Wednesday 10am to 1pm – Oatlands Rd, Woodhouse Park M22 1AH
- Sunday 12.30 to 2.30pm three-course meal
- Call 0161 437 4392 or visit www.facebook.com/TheDandelionCommunity/
The Sharston Shop – Donated adult and children’s clothing and shoes available at no charge for families with a child under 5 in M22 or M23.
- Sharston Children’s Centre, Poundswick Lane, Sharston M22 9TA
- Call 0161 529 0080 or visit www.facebook.com/wythenshawechildrenscentres/
Mo’s Cabin – A charity shop and a warm welcome with tea and toast available.
- Tuesday and Friday 9.30am to 12.30pm – Brownley Green Methodist Church, 57 Broadoak Road, M22 9NE
Emmaus South Manchester – Emporium is open for a good rummage in the bargains and a cafe offers cheap snacks.
- St Andrews Methodist Church, Brownley Road M22 0DW
- Call 0161 769 9555 or visit www.emmaus.org.uk/southmanchester/shop/emporium/
Wythenshawe Safety Patrol Community Hub – Free breakfast, lunch and dinner in a warm and friendly environment. Sometimes pre-loved clothing also available.
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 8.30am to 4pm – The Royal Oak Community Centre, Brookcot Road M23 1DU. Call 0161 998 2146
The Bideford Community centre – Charity shop and community café with free arts classes and nails, community food, quiz/bingo and famous 10p stall.
- Tuesday and Thursday 10am to 2pm. Art classes and free nail service on Tuesday – Bideford Community Centre, Bideford Drive M23 0QN
St Richards Foodbank – Foodbank. Voucher required.
- Tuesday 9.30 to 10.30am – St Richards Peel Hall, 100 Peel Hall Road, Wythenshawe M22 5HB
- Call 0161 998 2071
Lawton Moor Methodist Church – Lunch club with two course meal & hot drink for £5.
- Wednesday 11.30am to 1pm – Lawton Moor Methodist Church, Lawton Moor Road, Button Lane M23 0ND. Also holds a rummage sale on 1st Saturday of the month (11am to 12 noon).
The Church of the Nazarene – Free Foodcycle community meal, community café and food pantry.
- Wednesday community meal 5pm to 7pm. Thursday Brooklands pantry and coffee, cake and chat 11am to 12 noon and 1pm to 2pm. Soup 12 noon to 1pm
- Church of the Nazarene, Wendover Rd M23 9FN
Bread and Butter Thing @St Lukes – Community food membership and foodbank. Voucher required.
- Saturday 11am to 12 noon – St Lukes Church Hall, Brownley Road, Wythenshawe, Manchester, M22 5EB. Church Hall also open Wednesday 9 to 11 am for hot drinks, toast and warmth.
Sacred Heart Club House – Foodbank (voucher required).
- Wednesday 12-2pm – Sacred Heart & Saint Peter’s Catholic Church, 98 Floatshall Road, M23 1HP
St Aidens – Foodbank (voucher required).
- Wednesday 12-2pm – St Aidans Church, Wythenshawe Road M23 0PH
St Martins Church Hall Babybank – Little lighthouse baby bank for all your baby needs (clothes, milk, nappies, wipes etc). Free place of welcome with coffee, tea and biscuits.
- Thursday 10am to 12noon Bowland Rd, Baguley M23 1NA
William Temple Church Hall – A warm inviting safe space with hot drinks toast and other food offers.
- Thursday 12noon to 2pm – William Temple Vicarage, Robinswood Rd, Wythenshawe, Manchester M22 0BU (close to Asda carpark )
Thrive MCR Public Living Room – A cosy space to have a brew and meet with other people.
- Every Thursday 11am to 1pm – Benchill Community Centre, Benchill Road M22 8EJ
Eden Family Café – A family friendly place to meet over a cuppa have a chat whilst the children play and maybe even buy yourself a bacon butty at very low costs.
- Friday 9 to 10.30am (term time only) – St Michael’s Community Hall, Orton Road M23
Benchill Community Centre Winter Warmer – Free hot drinks, soup and biscuits. Meet new people and find out what goes on in our wonderful Wythenshawe.
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10am to 3pm (Food Bank Friday 1pm to 2pm) – Benchill Community Centre, Benchill Rd, Wythenshawe, Manchester M22 8EJ
The Help Centre (Know Africa) – Shopping for £5. All welcome.
- Saturday 10am to 12noon – Wythenshawe Community Church, 94 Crossacres Road M22 5BS
Tree of Life – Low-cost furniture, health & wellbeing activities, community café, foodbank (voucher required) and pantry.
- Open throughout the week – Tree of Life, Greenbrow Road M23 2UE
The Message Community Grocer – Community food, debt advice, money courses and life skills. £5 annual membership gives you access to up to 3 weekly shops.
- Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm (Tuesday from 10am) – Harper Road, Sharston M22 4RG
Lifestyle Styles Café – Healthy lunches at great prices.
- Monday to Thursday 9am to 2pm – Woodhouse Park Lifestyle Centre, 206 Portway, Wythenshawe, M22 1QW
CAP Debt Centre for Wythenshawe – Support on your journey out of debt. Recommended by Martin Lewis the Money Saving Expert.
- Call Clare on 0800 328 0006 to book an appointment.
South Manchester Credit Union – Community-based credit union offering saving accounts and loans to the people of South Manchester.
Manchester Credit Union
A member owned financial co-operative, providing an easy way to save and affordable loans when you need them. Open to everyone who lives or works in Manchester. All services are available online at www.manchestercreditunion.co.uk or you can also visit MCUs branches:
- City centre branch at Queen’s Court, 24 Queen Street M2 5HX – open Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm
- Wythenshawe Civic Centre branch at Unit 10, Haletop, Wythenshawe Civic Centre M22 5RN – open Monday to Friday 9am to 3.30pm
Wythenshawe Cricket Club Parents and Tots Coffee Morning – £2 gets you a drink, biscuit and a play session for your little person.
- Wednesday 10am to 12 noon – Wythenshawe Cricket Club, Longley Lane, Northenden.
Wythenshawe Good Neighbours – Reducing social isolation and promoting wellbeing for over 50s who live in M22 or M23 through coffee mornings, lunches, newsletters, day trips and telephone befriending.
- Visit www.wythenshawegoodneighbours.com or call 0161 905 3898
Be Well Social Prescribing Offer – Empowering people (18 plus) to make positive changes to health and wellbeing. One to one health and wellbeing coaching, weight management groups, employment coaching and signposting to specialist support.
- Contact Be Well on 0161 470 7120. Services provided at local venues.
Thrive MCR Brew & Chat – For adults looking after children with special educational needs and/or disabilities to come and join like-minded people in a relaxed environment to chat, have a brew and support each other. Children are also welcome to come along.
- Every Thursday 1 to 2pm – Benchill Community Centre, Benchill Road M22 8EJ
- Call Colette (Thrive Manchester) on 07853 941290
Thrive MCR Walks – Short walk suitable for all (can be adapted to suit your needs). A chance to chat and walk followed by a drink afterwards.
- Wednesday 11am meet outside Boxx2Boxx Café, Northenden M22 4FY; Thursday 11am meet outside Benchill Community Centre, M22 8EJ; Friday 11am meet outside Woodhouse Park Lifestyle, M22 1QW
- Call Chantel (Thrive Manchester) on 07859 832533
Women’s Group – Join our women’s group to practice English and enjoy different activities.
- Friday 12noon to 2pm – St Aidens, 230a Wythenshawe Road M23 0PH
- Call 07824 329 331 or email Lana.email@example.com
Directions for Men – Men’s mental health support.
- Tuesdays at 6pm – West View Court, Northenden and Thursdays at 6pm Woodhouse Park Lifestyle Centre
- Call 07894 971 434 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
MENd Minds – Aimed at improving the wellbeing of local men through developing a community/nature garden.
- Thursday 1pm to 3pm – St Aidan’s Centre, 230a Wythenshawe Road M23 0PH
- Call 0161 998 8802 or email email@example.com
Self Help services – Support with your mental health
- More information at www.selfhelpservices.org.uk/referrals/self-referrals or call 0161 226 3871
Blossom:Health Through Activity – Weekly sessions and activities plus workshops supporting people to grow and cook their own food as well as practical ideas to manage budgets.
- Sessions on Wednesday 1 to 4pm, Thursday 1 to 4pm and Saturday 10am to 1pm – Wythenshawe Park, Horticulture Centre, Wythenshawe Rd M23 0AB
- Email Info@blossom-mcr.co.uk
SureStart Children’s Centres – Supporting parents with children aged under 5. Provide group play-based activities and support for families.
- Local centres are at Baguley, Benchill, Sharston, Woodhouse Park and Sale Road
- Call 0161 529 0080