Winter Moston, Newton Heath and Miles Platting
We know this Winter will be hard with the cost of living crisis, but there is lots of support out there locally if you do need it. To help local people, Manchester Local Care Organisation’s integrated neighbourhood teams across the city have worked with colleagues at Manchester City Council and the voluntary sector to produce a series of neighbourhood service guides .
The guides outline much of the local support that is available across each neighbourhood. These include food banks, warm hubs, befriending services and other local offers.
The booklets complement the citywide support available through Manchester City Council’s free cost of living advice line. This free telephone line offers support with benefits and help with your rent, advice about debt and paying bills , food support and help to get online (support to access the internet, laptops, phones and data). The advice line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm on 0800 023 2692. You can speak to someone about the support that is available. You can also text on 07860 022 876 or visit manchester.gov.uk/coladvice
View the information in the categories below or you can download the PDF booklet for Moston, Newton Heath and Miles Platting here [PDF approx 3.5MB].
The Church of the Apostles social supermarket – Membership provides access to low cost food, household goods, gifts and toys when available. Supports people who are within a 15 minute walk
- Tuesday 12noon to 4pm, Wednesday 12noon to 7pm, Friday 12noon to 4pm and Saturday 12noon to 2pm
- Located at Church of the Apostles, Ridgway Street, Miles Platting M40 7FY.
Humans MCR community grocers – Provides access to groceries for a small weekly charge which is much lower than normal prices. Delivery based service and delivery day is dependent on location. There is a yearly membership fee of £5 and a small fee for the weekly shop ranging from £6.75 for a single adult through to £20.75 for a family of eight.
- Visit www.humansmcr.org/grocers/ to register or call 0161 243 0171
- Delivering Monday to Friday each week excluding public holidays.
The Bread and Butter Thing – The Bread-and-Butter Thing is a charity that offers affordable, healthy food. Pay £7.50 for £35 worth of shopping. Text 07860 063304 with your full name, postcode and the name of the HUB you’ll be collecting from. Local hubs are:
- Blackley Community Hub – collections on Thursday 10:30pm until 1pm.
- Lily Lane Primary School – collections on Tuesday 1.30pm until 2pm
- Manchester Communications Academy – Tuesday 3.30pm until 4pm
- Gateway – Church of the Saviour – collections on Monday 1:30pm until 2pm.
Humans MCR emergency food parcels – Provides emergency food parcels to households. Delivery based service. Referral required from a health professional, school or support service.
- Referral partners should email email@example.com to receive the online referral form.
- Delivering Monday-Friday each week excluding public holidays.
ReflecTeen – Provides food parcels to families and also provide support for youth development and family wellbeing. Booking is essential, children must be under 16 and commit to attend a skills programme.
- Call 0161 900 8083 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Located at 310 Broadhurst Community Centre. Lightbowne Road. M40 0FJ
North Manchester Community Kindness (NMCK) Food Pantry – Newton Heath
- Heathfield Hall, Heathfield St, M40 1LF
- School holiday opening hours: Wednesday 3.30pm to 5pm and Thursday 1.30pm to 3pm
- Term time opening hours Wednesday 3.30pm to 5pm and and Friday 9.30am to 11am
- Call 07887 697 895 or email email@example.com
Miles Platting Community Grocer – Provides access to groceries for a small weekly charge which is much lower than normal prices.
- Queensbury Court, Wardle Street, M40 7DD
- Open to people living within 15 minutes’ walk.
- Membership £2.50 for a shop
- Thursdays 12.30pm to 2.45pm
- Contact for an appointment. Call 07793186763 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
NEPHRA Good Neighbours, Moston – Various support on offer which changes on a weekly basis. Open to all, offering advice and support around a wide range of topics. Community allotment space, classes, events, meals on wheels service, befriending scheme and lunch club.
- 27 Parkfield Road North, Moston, M40 3TB
- Call 0161 637 6788 or 07368 353293 or email email@example.com
Across Ummah – Across Ummah CIC is an organisation that works to reduce crisis in family, health and mental wellbeing.
- Find out more atwww.acrossummah.com
Manchester Credit Union – A member owned financial co-operative, providing an easy way to save and affordable loans when you need them. Open to everyone who lives or works in Manchester. All services are available online at www.manchestercreditunion.co.uk or you can also visit MCUs city centre branch:
- City centre branch at Queen’s Court, 24 Queen Street M2 5HX – open Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm
Newton Heath Library – Various sessions on throughout the week with access to activities and support.
- Located at Old Church St, Newton Heath, M40 2JB
- Open Monday – 9am to 8pm, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday – 9am to 5pm. Closed Thursday.
The Grange Community Centre (Beswick) – Various support and activities offered to a range of ages, including exercise classes, support services for people living with mental health issues, playschemes, community events and fun days.
- The Grange Community Resource Centre, Pilgrim Drive, Beswick M11 3TQ
- Open Monday to Friday
- Call 0161 230 1420 for more information on what’s on.
North Manchester Community Partnership – Providing digital support with any online forms including Universal Credit or any other online benefit application, Council tax, school applications or viewing your rent account. Can also help with online basics such as email, uploading documents, data advice and device support. Everyone welcome. Call 0161 792 9760 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Local sessions take place at:
- Harpurhey Sure Start, Upper Conran St M9 4DA -alternate Thursdays 12noon to 4pm
- Simpson Memorial Hall, 361 Moston Lane, Moston M40 9NB – Monday and Wednesday 9am to 3pm
- No 93 Harpurhey, 93 Church Lane M9 5BG – Tuesday 10am to 2pm and Thursday 10am to 12.30pm
- Caritas Collyhurst, Nobby Stiles Drive M4 4FA – Wednesday 12noon to 2pm
- Lalley Centre, Eggington Street, M40 7RG – Wednesday 10 am to 2pm
- Northwards Housing, White Moss Rd, Blackley M9 6NZ – Monday 9am to 1pm
- Newton Heath Library, 2 Old Church St M40 2JF – Monday 1.30 to 4pm
ReflecTeen Afterschool Club (Moston) – For young people aged 6 to 16 years of age on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 4pm to 6pm
- Held at Broadhurst Community Centre. Lightbowne Road, Moston M40 0FJ
- Call 07984 762 029 or email email@example.com to find out more.
Soundpaths – Take a walk with an accompanied bespoke soundtrack of sounds, spoken word and music compiled by a composer. One walk route is in Moston and the other is Boggart Hole Clough.
- Visit www.soundpathsmoston.com to download
Manchester Cares one-to-one friendship programme – Tackling loneliness and isolation by bringing older and younger neighbours together. The friendship programme Love Your Neighbour provides people with someone to chat to on the phone or in person once a week for company and conversation. They also provide social clubs and outreach work.
- 0161 207 0800 (option 1) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- More information at www.manchestercares.org.uk/contact
Caritas North Manchester – Caritas Connecting Older People provide various activities and social events to reduce social isolation and loneliness amongst people over 50 in North Manchester. Based in Collyhurst. Help varies from a friendly ‘chat and check’ to escorting people on their weekly shop and other regular activities. That can include supporting discussions with the housing, benefits, health services and contact with GPs/Consultants and lifts to a range of appointments.
- Call 0161 207 0800 or email email@example.com
The Lounge Warm Hub – A welcoming space, where you can sit a while, stay warm, grab a brew and meet others
- Manchester Settlement Community Hub, 1328-1330 Ashton Old Road, Openshaw M11 1JG
- Mon to Thurs 10am to 4pm and Friday 10am to 1pm