We know this Winter will be hard with the cost of living crisis, but there is lots of support out there locally if you do need it. To help local people, Manchester Local Care Organisation’s integrated neighbourhood teams across the city have worked with colleagues at Manchester City Council and the voluntary sector to produce a series of neighbourhood service guides .
The guides outline much of the local support that is available across each neighbourhood. These include food banks, warm hubs, befriending services and other local offers.
The booklets complement the citywide support available through Manchester City Council’s free cost of living advice line. This free telephone line offers support with benefits and help with your rent, advice about debt and paying bills , food support and help to get online (support to access the internet, laptops, phones and data). The advice line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm on 0800 023 2692. You can speak to someone about the support that is available. You can also text on 07860 022 876 or visit manchester.gov.uk/coladvice
View the information in the categories below or you can download the PDF booklet for Chorlton, Whalley Range and Fallowfield here [PDF approx 3.5MB].
Chorlton and Didsbury Foodbank – Provides food parcels and drop-in service. People must be referred via their housing association, Citizens Advice, social worker or social prescriber.
- Wednesdays 11am to 12.30pm at Christ Church, Darley Ave, West Didsbury, M20 2ZD
- Fridays 12.30 to 2pm at St Barnabas Church, Chorlton, M21 8DH
- Delivery service for people with mobility issues and large families on Tuesdays 1.30pm to 3pm.
- Call 0793 8191 038 or email email@example.com
Fallowfield and Withington Foodbank – Provides food parcels and drop-in service. People must be referred via their housing association, Citizens Advice, social worker or social prescriber.
- Tuesdays 12pm to 2pm at St Cuthberts, 3 Palatine Road, Withington, M20 3LH
- Wednesdays 5pm to 6.15pm at The Place, Fallowfield Library, 3 Palatine Road, M20 3LH
- Fridays 12pm to 2pm at Union Chapel, 2b Wellington Road, Fallowfield, M14 6EQ
- Saturdays 10am to 12pm at Holy Innocents, 2 Wilbraham Road, Fallowfield, M14 6JZ
- Call 07411 077 654 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Manchester South Central Foodbank – Provides food parcels and drop-in service. People must be referred via their housing association, Citizens Advice, social worker or social prescriber. Referrals accepted before 5pm the day before.
- Unit 3, The Wesley Centre, Corner of Old York Street and Royce Road, Hulme, M15 5BP
- Call 0161 226 3413 or email email@example.com
- Monday and Wednesday delivery service after 12pm. Friday collection only between 12 and 3pm.
Emmeline’s Pantry – Helping women and families access food, toiletries, cleaning products baby equipment and clothes. Referrals must come from registered professional.
- Food Bank is for people who have no money for essential items
- Food Pantry is for people with less than £10 per adult and £5 per child per week for food. Donation required – amount dependent on size of the family.
- Call 0161 204 3373 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Reach out to the Community – Emergency food parcels for people experiencing homelessness. Referrals can be made by a community organisation, NHS, GMP or social worker.
- 488 Wilbraham Road, Chorlton, M21 9AS.
- The community hub is open Monday to Friday from 10am to 4.30pm.
- Please call to arrange a food parcel 0161 862 9415.
Barakah Food Aid – Provides food parcels.
- Call 07506 527523
The Bread and Butter Thing – £7.50 for £35 worth of shopping. Text 0786 006 3304 with your full name, postcode and the name of the HUB you’ll be collecting from.
- Visit www.breadandbutterthing.org to register and find your closest hub
One Manchester Money Advisers – Provide help and support with debt, benefit applications and appeals, budgeting and saving money, payment holidays for personal finances, insurance and access to food and furniture.
- Call 0330 355 1000 or email email@example.com
- People must be tenants of One Manchester
South Manchester Credit Union
Community-based credit union offering saving accounts and loans and support with people’s finances.
- Available to anyone in the South Manchester area – postcodes include: M90, M22,M23, M20, SK4, M19, M21 ,M14, M16, M15, M13, M12, M18
- Visit www.smcreditunion.co.uk
Manchester Credit Union
A member owned financial co-operative, providing an easy way to save and affordable loans when you need them. Open to everyone who lives or works in Manchester. All services are available online at www.manchestercreditunion.co.uk or you can also visit MCUs branches:
- City centre branch at Queen’s Court, 24 Queen Street M2 5HX – open Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm
- Wythenshawe Civic Centre branch at Unit 10, Haletop, Wythenshawe Civic Centre M22 5RN – open Monday to Friday 9am to 3.30pm
Greater Manchester Law Centre
Offers support with employment law, housing, domestic violence and immigration and asylum.
- 669 Stockport Road, Manchester, M12 4QE.
- Call 0161 769 2244 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
How Are You? (HAY) – A drop-in group, providing a supportive and confidential space where new parents have a hot drink and meet others. This group is run by volunteers.
- The Youth Centre, St Clements Church, Edge Lane, Chorlton, M21 9AE
- 10am to 12pm Mondays during term-time
- There is a small charge of £1.50 per session. Please note: this is not a playgroup.
Children’s Craft Club – Free creative activities for children aged 5 to 13.
- The Place at Platt Lane, Platt Lane M14 7FB
- Every Monday 3.30 to 5pm
- For more information call 07940 758 168 or email email@example.com
Mandem Meet Up – Offering a place for men to connect and talk, free from judgment or expectation.
- Fortnightly meet-ups on Monday evenings
- Details of all events can be found at www.mandemmeetup.org
Assist Neighbourhood Care – Providing support services and activities for older people designed to help them to continue to live independent, active and fulfilling lives.
- Assist Neighbourhood Care, Withington Methodist Church, 439 Wilmslow Road, Withington, M20 4AN
- 9.30am to 12.30pm, Monday to Friday
- To join a group or refer someone else call 0161 434 9216 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Chorlton Good Neighbours – Supporting adults, aged 65+ with visits, transport, odd jobs and social activities. There is also a parent and toddler group and a positive living group.
- Chorlton Good Neighbours Care Group, Wilbraham St Ninians Church, Egerton Road South, M21 0XJ
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 9.30am to 12.30pm and Wednesday 12pm to 3pm
- To join a group or refer someone, call 0161 881 2925 or email email@example.com
Chorlton Family Practice Walking Group – Join a gentle walk with the practice health champions and meet people from the local area. All welcome.
- 1pm on alternate Thursdays at Chorlton Health Centre, 1 Nicolas Road M21 9NJ
- For more information, call 0730 594 3204
Barlow Moor Community Association – BMCA provides crisis support, warm hub, health and wellbeing, food provision (food parcels and lunches) and children and young people activities at 23 Mersey Bank Ave, M21 7NT.
Chats and crafts – Make friends at the Chatty Cafe every Thursday from 1pm to 3pm and join local crafters for a brew and chat while working on your own projects, Tuesdays from 1pm to 3pm
- Benito Lounge, 595/597 Wilbraham Road, M21 9AJ
- For more information contact Laura.Cassidy@gmmh.nhs.uk
Whalley Range Women’s Group – Social group for all women in Whalley Range every Wednesday, 1pm to 2.30pm (term time only)
- St Margaret’s Centre, Brantingham Road, Whalley Range, M21 0TT
- For more information contact Laura.Cassidy@gmmh.nhs.uk
St Margaret’s Centre Cozy Café – Keep warm and join us for a natter over free drinks and snacks. Donations and bakes are a welcome.
- St. Margaret’s, corner of Rufford Rd & Whalley Rd, Whalley Range, M16 8AE
- Thursdays 1pm to 3pm over the colder months
- For more information or to volunteer, email firstname.lastname@example.org
JNR8 Youth and Community Centre – Pop along for a brew and a chat and find out about the other Whalley Range Community Forum activities.
- Fridays from 10am to 12pm
- JNR8 Youth and Community Centre, 82 Cromwell Avenue, Whalley Range, M16 0BG
- Call 0161 881 3744 or email email@example.com
Chorlton Central Warm Hub – Warm food and company.
- Thursdays 3:30pm to 6pm at Chorlton Central Church, Barlow Moor Rd M21 8BF
St Clements Warm Hub – Warm space and refreshments.
- Wednesday’s 10.30am to 12 noon at St Clement’s Church, Edge Lane, Chorlton M21 9AE
The Place at Platt Lane – Meet new people, enjoy a brew and join some of the activities – card games, jigsaws, books, games.
- Monday to Saturday, 9am to 5pm through winter
- The Place at Platt Lane, Fallowfield, M14 7FB
- Call 0161 227 3744