Winter Ardwick and Longsight
We know this Winter will be hard with the cost of living crisis, but there is lots of support out there locally if you do need it. To help local people, Manchester Local Care Organisation’s integrated neighbourhood teams across the city have worked with colleagues at Manchester City Council and the voluntary sector to produce a series of neighbourhood service guides .
The guides outline much of the local support that is available across each neighbourhood. These include food banks, warm hubs, befriending services and other local offers.
The booklets complement the citywide support available through Manchester City Council’s free cost of living advice line. This free telephone line offers support with benefits and help with your rent, advice about debt and paying bills , food support and help to get online (support to access the internet, laptops, phones and data). The advice line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm on 0800 023 2692. You can speak to someone about the support that is available. You can also text on 07860 022 876 or visit manchester.gov.uk/coladvice
View the information in the categories below or you can download the PDF booklet for Ardwick and Longsight here [PDF 3.5MB]
Coverdale and Newbank Community Grocer (Ardwick) – Provides food and household toiletries at a discounted cost: £2.50 for £20 worth of items. For Ardwick residents in need. No referral required.
- Thursdays 11am to 1.30pm at 217 Stockport Rd, Longsight M12 4DY
Ardwick and Longsight Food Bank – Provides emergency food parcels for those with no food or money to buy food. Covers M12, M13 & M14 5– areas. Referral needed – from Citizens Advice, schools/colleges, Community Care Navigator, Housing Association, health or support agency. Contact us for advice if you have first tried to get referral.
- Call 0161 273 3977 (text 07853 553732 ) or email email@example.com
- Located at Transformation Community Resource Centre, 11 Richmond Grove M13 0LN (behind Longsight Police Station). Open Monday and Thursday mornings 11am to 1pm to collect parcels.
422 Pantry (Ardwick) – Members pay £2 for £15-20 worth of food and essentials. For people from Longsight, Levenshulme or Ardwick in receipt of Universal Credit or experiencing food poverty. An organisation can make a referral through www.mvuk.org/422pantry We also have bi-weekly support from Shelter’s ‘Health Now’ volunteers to provide support for people experiencing housing insecurity and health problems.
- Call 0161 850 3277 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 422 Community Hub, 422 Stockport Road, M12 4EX
Brunswick Church (Ardwick) – Hot meal available to anyone. Donations welcome.
- Brunswick Church, Brunswick St, Ardwick M13 9SX
- Monday 11am to 1pm, alternate Tuesdays 1pm to 2pm, Wednesday 12:30 to 1:30
Brunswick Beestro – Hot meals available for anyone (donations welcome).
- 10.30am to 2pm Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
- Brunswick Church, Brunswick Street, Ardwick M13 9SX
Manchester Central Foodbank – Provide three days’ emergency food and support to local people who are referred in crisis. Strictly referral only. A foodbank voucher is required from a referring organisation: Citizens Advice, housing officers, children’s centres, health visitors, and social services
- Visit www.manchestercentral.foodbank.org.uk/get-help/ for more information.
- Nearest hub is at St Peter’s House, Oxford Road, M13 9GH on a Friday 10am to 12am.
Women’s Voices (Longsight) – Cooked meals available Thursdays 11am to 1pm and clothes bank for women and children every Fridays 11am to 1pm. Women only.
- Burhan Centre, 81 Beresford Rd, Longsight M13 0GX
The Bread and Butter Thing – Pay £7.50 for £35 worth of shopping. Text 07860 063304 with your full name, postcode and the name of the HUB you’ll be collecting from (St Josephs).
- More information at www.breadandbutterthing.org
- Local hub at St Joseph’s Primary School, Richmond Grove, Longsight M13 0DH on Wednesday 1pm to 1.30pm
Better We Sessions – Social get togethers for different groups providing drinks or food. Hosted by Better We charity.
- Luncheon Club, Tuesdays 12pm to 2pm
- Men’s Club (men only) Tuesdays 7pm to 9pm
- Coffee morning, Wednesdays 11am to 12noon
- Located at 49/D Beresford Rd, Longsight M13 0GT
- Email email@example.com for information.
Lunch Club (Age UK) – £3.50 for hot meal and brew for people aged over 55.
- Tuesday 1 to 3pm at Brunswick Village, 50 Brunswick St, Ardwick M13 9PE
- Call 0161 676 8706 or email Yvette.firstname.lastname@example.org
Sheung Lok – Free lunch and activities, Mondays 10.30am to 2pm.
- Sheung Lok Wellbeing Centre, Justin Close, M13 9UB
- Call 0161 2727 482 or email email@example.com
West Gorton Community Grocer – Provides discounted food including fruit and veg (£5 for up to £30 worth). For local residents in need.
- Weds 10.30am to 2pm at West Gorton Community Centre, Haverford Street M12 5HX
- Call on 07929 342 383
S4B Housing Financial Inclusion Advice – Budgeting advice, dealing with debt, applying for grants and managing bills for tenants or lease holders of S4B properties.
- Call on 0300 555 0128, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the S4B Housing Office, 15 Brunswick St M13 9SU
Citizens Advice drop in – Free confidential debt and finance advice sessions.
- Tuesdays 1pm to 3.30pm at Longsight Library, 519 Stockport Road M12 4NE
- Call 0161 227 3706 or email email@example.com
Citizens Advice Services – Information, advice, support with welfare benefits, money, & debt, employment, education & health, housing & neighbourhood disputes, consumer & energy issues, immigration & residency.
- Drop in sessions at Longsight Library on Thursdays 9.30am to 1pm (places limited)
- Call 0808 278 7800 or visit www.citizensadvicemanchester.org.uk
Next Step Project (Longsight) – Free advice and support on benefits, housing, finances and more.
- Call 0161 248 4170 or 07458 300 781
- Based at Northmoor Hub, 103 Northmoor Road, Longsight M12 5RT
- 10am to1pm (Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Sat), 4.40pm to 7.30pm (Mon), 3pm to 6pm (Weds and Sat).
Brunswick Church (Ardwick) Advice and Guidance Drop In – Support with benefits, housing and other issues, anyone is welcome.
- Tuesday to Friday 10.30am to 2pm at Brunswick Church, Brunswick Street, Ardwick M13 9SX
- Call Mo on 07938 959 284.
Rethink Rebuild Society – Give advice / support applying for benefits and housing issues. Put on many free or discounted activities and events including women’s Zumba classes, film screenings and table tennis. Specialise in supporting Arabic speaking immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers but have an open door policy.
- Call 0161 222 9779 or 07730 194 083 for appointments and more information.
Manchester Credit Union
A member owned financial co-operative, providing an easy way to save and affordable loans when you need them. Open to everyone who lives or works in Manchester. All services are available online at www.manchestercreditunion.co.uk or you can also visit MCUs branches:
- City centre branch at Queen’s Court, 24 Queen Street M2 5HX – open Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm
- Wythenshawe Civic Centre branch at Unit 10, Haletop, Wythenshawe Civic Centre M22 5RN – open Monday to Friday 9am to 3.30pm
Brunswick Church social activities – Provide a range of activities for local residents to get involved with including Monthly Book Club, Monthly over 50s events, Monthly Chair exercise and fortnightly cinema club.
- Anyone is welcome. Contact Mo on 07938 959 284 for details of when each session takes place
- Sessions take place at Brunswick Church, Brunswick Street, Ardwick M13 9SX
Brunswick Village Activities for over 55s – Brunswick village has a range of activities for over 55 year olds who love locally. They ask for a £1.50 donation for activities if possible.
- Stretch, Flex Relax and Feel Good – Monday 2:30pm to 3:30pm
- Unleash your creative talent – Tuesday & Thursday 10am to 12noon
- Drawing session – Wednesday 10am to 12noon
- Knit chat and brew – Thursday 1:30pm-3pm.
- All sessions are based at Brunswick Village, 50 Brunswick St, Ardwick M13 9PE. Call 0161 676 8709 and ask for Yvette.
Wai Yin Society Chinese Carer Corner – Provides a monthly space for carers to share their feelings and have a break from their caring role. For Chinese carers aged over 55.
- Call 0161 833 0377 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Sessions based atS heung Lok Centre, Justin Close M13 9UB
422 (Ardwick) Stay and Play – Stay and Play is a great way to meet other parents and carers with babies and toddlers! Anyone with children below school age can come along.
- Sessions due to start Mondays from January 2023 at 422 Community Hub, 422 Stockport Road M12 4EX when new lift is installed at centre
- Call 0161 850 3277 or email email@example.com for more information.
Parent & Toddler Group – Groups for parents or carers of 0-5 year olds.
- Wednesdays 10.30am to 12.30pm at Brunswick Church, Brunswick Street, Ardwick M13 9SX
- Call Mo on 07938 959 284 for more information.
West Gorton Community Centre Youth Club – Activities for local children aged 8 to 14. Parent or guardian consent form must be signed before attending.
- Friday 5pm to 7pm at West Gorton Community Centre, Haverford Street M12 5HX
- Call Heather on 07929 342 383 for further information.
Little Lions (Longsight) – Activities and social group for mums from ethnic minority backgrounds and their pre-school babies/children.
- Thursday 12noon to 1pm in term-time at Longsight Community Church of the Nazarene, Tollgate Close M13 0LG
Better We Youth Club – Entertainment for young people ages 11-20 including football, board games, snacks etc.
- Tuesdays 5pm to 7pm at 49/D Beresford Road, Longsight M13 0GT
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07939 633243 for more information.
Longsight Library and Learning Centre – Come in and stay warm all day and enjoy the comfortable seating, free self-service hot drinks, free Internet, free Wifi, newspapers, information.
- Open Monday and Tuesday 9am to 8pm, Wednesday to Saturday 9am to 5pm.
- Longsight Library, 519 Stockport Rd, M12 4NE
Northmoor Community Association (NCA) – Warm space with free access to computers, internet and children’s library.
- Northmoor Community Association, 95-97 Northmoor Road, 12 5RT
- Monday to Thursday 10am to 1pm, Friday 12pm to 2pm, Saturday 10am to 1pm and 3pm to 6pm.
- Free drink Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.
422 Cafe – Keep warm and enjoy a hot drink for £1 and meal £2.
- 422 Stockport Road, Longsight, M12 4EX
- Monday to Saturday, 9am to 3pm.