Whether you are starting out in your career as a Social Worker or you are looking for a next step, we want you to join our fantastic adult social care team in Manchester.
Manchester is a diverse and exciting city. We have a population of approximately 550,000 people and around 200 different languages are spoken here, higher than any other city in the UK.
That makes Manchester a culturally diverse and truly global city. We’re often named as one of the most exciting cities in Europe and the world.
We’re a city that is developing all the time and so are our adult social care services.
Why Social Work in Manchester is different
Social Work in Manchester is challenging and exciting. We are committed to growing, developing and retaining our workforce to meet that challenge and ensure working with us is rewarding and exciting. We have clear guidelines around reflective supervision and Continuing Professional Development – supporting workers to be the best that they can be at all times.
Whilst employed by Manchester City Council – winner of Local Authority of the year in the latest Municipal Journal annual awards – in Manchester we do things differently. Our adult social care teams are also part of Manchester Local Care Organisation (MLCO).
MLCO is a pioneering partnership organisation that has brought together adult social care and NHS community health as one team in the city. As a social worker you’ll work alongside colleagues in community health in what we call Integrated Neighbourhood Teams across the city. These teams are co-located, working together each day around the needs of our citizens in a truly integrated system that’s setting the standard for how health and social care work together in the UK.
We’re also transforming how we work in social care. Better Outcomes Better Lives (BOBL) is our long-term programme of practice-led change centred on achieving better life outcomes for the citizens of Manchester by working in a strength-based way. It’s led by frontline staff so your ideas and experience help shape how we run things. Interventions designed by the programme have helped our citizens achieve independence and better outcomes, whilst preventing, reducing and delaying demand into adult social care services.
Giving you a career pathway
We have an excellent social work career pathway in Manchester and progression opportunities available on a frequent basis. We will help you build a strong foundation for social work practice, supported by approachable and accountable leaders (grown in Manchester) who are there to support you every step of the way.
You will also have the option of undertaking training to enhance social work practice, including Best Interest Assessor, Practice Educator Levels 1 & 2, and Approved Mental Health Professional.
We’re proud that many of our staff stay and develop their careers in Manchester – and many of those who do leave, come back to us.
Looking after you
As a social worker employed by Manchester City Council, you will get 1/2 a day protected time per quarter (2 days per year) to support your reflection and CPD for Social Work England. We have developed Communities of Practice and various forums to share information and good practice. Like the city we work in we’re proud to be diverse. We have an active Adult Social Care Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic forum which provide a safe space and support for our Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic staff.
We welcome those who hold a strong social work value base and bring a relational and strengths based approach to their work. Demonstrating sound assessment skills, you will show professional curiosity and challenge.
- Wide variety of teams for people to work within, including niche areas not available in other Local Authorities
- Protected time for CPD, half a day per quarter for all Social Workers at all levels = 2 days a year
- NQSWs supported to undertake ASYE, with capped caseload, 10% protected development time, and access to peer sessions with other NQSWs
- Good induction
- Regular reflective supervision
- Access to Research in Practice and Adult Policy Procedure and Practice Portal
- An excellent career pathway, structured and pay-related career progression
- Active Adult Social Care Black Asian and Minority Ethnic forum
- Communities of Practice and various other forums to share information and good practice across all teams
- All Social Workers part of a wider professional community within the MLCO, working alongside and supporting colleagues within the NHS, including community services, mental health services and primary care organisations. Working as one team across traditional organisational boundaries
- Wellbeing Calls from Principal Social Worker
- Access to Social Work Consultant support
- 25 days annual leave – Increases to 30 days after 5 years, plus bank holidays, as well as the option to purchase an additional 10 days’ leave (additional day from 2023 if current pay award approved)
- 35 hour working week
- Access to voluntary benefits providers that support health, wellbeing and making the most of your leisure time
- Family friendly policies e.g. maternity/adoption, paternity, shared parental leave
- Health and wellbeing support networks e.g. independent and confidential employee assistance and counselling, occupational health, etc.
- Employee communities and support groups including Adult Social Care Black Asian and Minority Ethnic forum which provides a safe space and support for our Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic staff, Disability and LGBT+ Networks, Menopause Support
- We are a disability confident and committed employer
- Opportunities for flexible working
- Agile working with mobile technology, remote working (our future standard) and home working
- Locality-based work hubs with touch down facilities, workstations, collaboration and breakout spaces for teamworking and socialising
- We utilise Microsoft collaboration tools and software; training is available
- Many of our office locations are within the city, close to all public transport options and other amenities
- Relocation assistance may be available for colleagues needing to relocate to Manchester
- Membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme (18.5% employer contribution)
- Staff benefits and discounts via the MCR+ card – a one-stop-shop for savings, benefits and rewards across a huge range of household names.
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) offering 24/7 support service for all employees and their immediate families, with immediate access to counselling, financial, legal, family and medical advice.
Want to apply today or find out more?
Could you see your career as Social Worker in Manchester? If you’re interested and think you’re the right person, apply to join the team with us today. We’d love to hear from you.