About our team
The Community Therapy Team (Community Occupational Therapy and Community Physiotherapy) helps people who have physiotherapy and/or occupational therapy goals; offering assessment, treatment and rehabilitation programmes for people living with complex long term health conditions. The team includes Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists and Therapy Assistants. We are part of the Integrated Community Rehabilitation Service (ICRS) which provides a rehabilitation service across the 4 neighbourhoods in South Manchester. Teams are multi-disciplinary and include Community Falls Team, Community Therapy Team (Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy) and Early Supported Discharge Stroke Team. The Community Handling team and South Parkinson’s Nurse Service also managed within ICRS.
Who we help
We provide general rehabilitation to people over the age of 18. Patients are seen in their own homes and we also provide input to people living in care homes.
Community therapy is suitable patients who:
- Have general mobility problems or loss of balance.
- Have a long term health condition including orthopaedic, neurological, and respiratory conditions
- Are recovering from surgery, eg hip replacements or fracture
- Have complex health and social care needs that require home based therapy
- Are having difficulty carrying out activities of daily living due to their health condition.
How we help
We can provide:
- Rehabilitation programmes to improve mobility, balance and strength
- Offer falls prevention advice
- Rehabilitation programmes to help people who have difficulty carrying out activities of daily living such as getting washed and dressed, cooking meals/making drinks, household management
- Provision of equipment as part of the rehabilitation programme, such as mobility aids, kitchen/bathroom/toileting equipment etc
- Fatigue and anxiety management
- Advice and education to patients and their carers/family to help manage their own conditions
Referral Criteria and Process
We accept referrals for adults (18+) who are registered with a South Manchester GP and:
- Have problems requiring occupational therapy and physiotherapy assessment and treatment
- Where the home environment is the most appropriate place to be treated rather than an outpatient setting.
- Require assessment in their home environment to maximise function and independence with activities of daily living
- Are housebound (physiotherapy referrals only)
- Live in care homes
Referrals can be made by telephone or email to the Single Point of access service.
Single Point of Access (SPA)
Tel: 0300 303 9650
Referrals can also be made directly to the service via email;
Community Therapy Service
Referral forms are widely accepted – attached is a copy of the Manchester Citywide Contact Assessment form.
1 Stancliffe Road,
Tel: 0161 946 8364
Monday – Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm
We have an answer machine so messages can be left out of hours and picked up the next working day.