Community Falls Service – South Manchester
We are the South Manchester Community Falls Team.
Our specialist multi-disciplinary team is part of the Integrated Community Rehabilitation Service (ICRS), which provides a rehabilitation service across the 4 neighbourhoods in South Manchester.
The aim of the service is to provide an individual treatment plan to highlight potential fall risks, maximise independence, restore confidence and reduce the risk of future falls.
The Community Falls Team consists of Physiotherapists, an Occupational Therapist, a Falls Nurse and Therapy Assistants. It also includes Podiatry and Pharmacy support.
This non-emergency service works together to provide home assessment for patients (60+) who have fallen or who are at high risk of falling and have the potential to engage in a fall prevention programme.
We provide specialist falls rehabilitation (advice and activity programmes) to people over the age of 60. Patients are seen in their own homes.
Some of the support we offer includes:
- Environmental checks and equipment to reduce the risk of falls
- Tailored exercise programmes to improve strength and balance
- Walking aids to reduce risks of falls
- Osteoporosis/ fracture risk assessment
- Lying and standing blood pressure checks
- Medication advice
- Falls management strategies
- Strategies to help with fear of falling and confidence building
- Signposting to community activities, groups and exercise programmes
We accept patients aged 60+ and:
- Are registered with a South Manchester GP
- Have consented to receive the support of the South Manchester Falls Team
- Are not a resident of a nursing or residential home
- Can mobilise independently (with or without walking aids)
- Have a recent history of falls or are at high risk of falls or fractures
- Can physically engage in and understand/follow a falls prevention home programme
- Not currently receiving falls prevention intervention from other community services
- Are medically stable and do not require acute hospital care
- Patients for whom falls prevention is manageable in the home environment rather than another setting
Referrals can be made by telephone or email to the Single Point of access service.
Single Point of Access (SPA)
Tel: 0300 3039650
Referrals can also be made directly to the service via email;
Community Therapy Service
The South Manchester Specialist Community Falls Service also run promotional events throughout the year in a range of community settings and accepts self-referrals.
Community Falls Service
1 Stancliffe Road
Phone: 0161 946 8227
Social Media (Twitter): @southmcr_rehab
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
We have an answering machine so messages can be left out of hours and picked up the next working day.