Manchester City Council’s Direct Payments Team operates a citywide service with duty support coordinated from the Gorton Hub on Garratt Way.
We provide a direct payment support scheme to Manchester residents who receive a personal budget from the local authority. We are available to adults and children on receipt of a referral and eligible care needs assessment from a social care assessor.
The Direct Payments team facilitate payments to nominated individuals and then provides an ongoing support service to assist with all the elements included in managing a direct payment.
We help to:
- Cost up a care package within budget to ensure that requirements and support outlined in the support plan are met, and that appropriate backup arrangements are in place. This could be via formal or informal support, or both;
- Advise on flexible and creative approaches to Independent Living;
- Assist with recruiting staff for those who want to employ a Personal Assistant (PA). This could include advertising, collating application forms, arranging interviews, and ensuring the correct paperwork such as police checks and payroll information are all in place prior to a PA’s employment starting;
- Assist with basic employment advice, and provide support around payroll management including dealing with tax and National Insurance responsibilities;
- Provide advice and support with the method of accounting for the use of the direct payment as required by the local authority;
- Support to source appropriate care agencies if required, and assist to negotiate and plan support with them to ensure needs are met; and,
- Help and advise the individual throughout the support planning process and beyond.
The team is comprised of 8 Direct Payments Coordinators who work across the city of Manchester. The Better Outcomes, Better Lives principles underpin the team’s approach resulting in a person-centred delivery model.
Our office hours are Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays) between the hours of 9am and 5pm.
27 Garratt Way,
Telephone: 0161 227 3901 (Out of hours: 0161 234 5001)