Children’s Asthma Service
The Children’s Asthma Service offers a multi-disciplinary and multi-agency approach providing holistic and coordinated management, education, and support package of care to children, young people, and families with asthma, recognising social, cultural, and spiritual differences.
The overall aim of the service is to provide access to asthma-trained nurse specialists, delivering high-quality care management and information regarding asthma, in line with current BTS (2019) and NICE asthma standards (2021). Our Nurse Specialists will work in partnership with families in deciding treatment pathways and developing an agreed self-care package.
We are a non-emergency service that provides care to children, young people, and families with asthma. We see children and young people aged between 3-16 years, with respiratory conditions such as asthma, cough, wheezing and/or shortness of breath. We can see children over the age of 16 years with Special Needs and attending a special needs school – up to the age of 18 years.
The child/young person must have a Manchester address.
The service offers nurse-led clinics within community settings citywide.
The aim of these clinics is to work in partnership with the child, young person, and family to provide education, advice, treatments, and support empowering them to be able to manage their condition. We work in partnership with other health professionals, pre-schools, and schools to further develop links within the local community. We also share care with the respiratory team, consultants and GPs to ensure consistency of your child’s care.
Please speak with your GP, School Nurse, or Health Visitor to arrange a referral to the service.
- We will see children who have had:
- More than 2 A/E attendances or hospital admissions in 12 months
- More than 2 courses of oral steroids over 12 months
- Child prescribed asthma medication but still experiencing persistent symptoms of asthma or where symptoms are suggestive of asthma (cough/wheeze/shortness of breath)
- Child frequently missing school due to respiratory problems
- Where the child and family require further education/support
- Any High dependency admissions due to asthma
- Early discharge from consultant from outpatient clinic to help aid support
Children’s Asthma Service
Longsight Health Centre
Phone: 0161 248 1226
The Children’s Asthma Service is based at Longsight Health Centre.
Asthma clinics are held at different locations within North, Central and South Manchester.
- Virtual clinics to suit the needs of the family
- Telephone consultations
For more information and/or to arrange an appointment please contact the Children’s Asthma Service on 0161 248 1226
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.
Excluding Bank Holidays.
What is Asthma Leaflet [Word Doc, 730kb]
What is Asthma? Service Information Leaflet Webpage
Page last reviewed: August 2023
Next review due: October 2023