Navigator – North Manchester
This service is a patient pathway of care who attend NMGH A&E department and who meet the criteria of medically fit and do not require admitting onto a ward.
The aim of the service is to establish a single integrated patient pathway of care for patients who attend NMGH A&E department and who meet the criteria of medically fit and do not require admitting onto a ward.
Patients who attend NMGH A&E department and who meet the criteria of medically fit and do not require admitting onto a ward.
- Completes a holistic assessment of each patients needs and then refers on to services as clinically indicated to prevent unnecessary admission to hospital.
- Signposts patients to other available outpatient services deemed appropriate by clinical the clinical team including Rapid Access Clinics, the Acute Respiratory Assessment Service (ARAS) and Emergency Assessment Unit clinics and acts as a resource for A&E and EAU staff.
- Identifies patients who are receiving the Active Case Management service and contacts the service to support the patient and to facilitate the patients discharge. The Navigator service also identifies and refers patients to the Active Case Management service in accordance with their referral criteria.
- Provides direct access to rapid response assessments.
- Currently provides care in NMGH A&E and EAU departments and is provided by a team of assessors with a health and or social care background.
- Places the individual at the centre of the care planning and decision making process.
- Works in close partnership with NMGH A&E and EAU departments, GP practices, secondary care, community services, the Local Authority and voluntary agencies across geographical boundaries as defined by the patient’s residence.
- Accepts referrals within the NMGH A&E and EAU departments for patients that are medically stable but cannot be discharged unless a package of care is provided for them to support their return home or to a residential community service for example; residential intermediate care or Reablement.
- Actively seeks referrals from the A&E and EAU departments at NMGH to facilitate discharge and prevent unnecessary hospital admissions.
- Accepts referrals for all patients aged over 18 years regardless of residence and GP registration who has attended NMGH A&E or EAU departments.
- Accepts referrals for patients that are assessed to be medically fit by the NMGH A&E and EAU consultant medical staff.
North Manchester General Hospital (NMGH)
Phone: 0161 922 3324
Monday to Sunday, 9am to 7pm.