Community Podiatry – North Manchester
The service provides assessment, diagnosis and treatment of conditions of the foot.
The Community Multidisciplinary High Risk Foot Team works to NICE guidelines with the aim of triaging new referrals of patients with foot ulcer within one working day of referral.
Patients over 18 in North Manchester
The department has a wide skill mix of staff from an assistant practitioner to specialist podiatrists providing assessment, diagnosis and treatment of conditions of the foot with the aim of reducing hospital admissions, preventing deterioration in ‘at risk patients’, improving patient well- being and quality of life, reducing pain and discomfort and maintaining independence and mobility.
Services are offered by appointment only – there are no ‘drop-in’ facilities.
The scope of practice includes:-
- All new patients are assessed for inclusion on an appropriate pathway which can include discharge from the service
- Community Multidisciplinary Foot Protection Team dealing with complex high risk feet
- High risk foot assessment and management
- Specialist High Risk Foot ulcer clinics
- Diabetes specialist foot assessment and treatment in line with NICE guidelines
- Treatment of complex long term chronic foot conditions
- Nail surgery under local anaesthetic
- Musculoskeletal limb function assessment and management of gait problems
- Prescription and manufacture of foot orthoses
- Foot health promotion education and self-care advice
- Home visiting service (only for patients who are completely housebound)
- Services are also provided at Intermediate Care locations